Waterfox 51.0.1 is now available with new Quality of Life features!
What’s new in Waterfox 51.0.1?
- Fixed painting issues on Windows
- Updated to Firefox 51.0.1
What’s new in Waterfox 51?
- Updated to Firefox 51 codebase
- Quality of Life feature: Select your language from Options (Preferences) > General > Locale! Language are now automatically bundled with Waterfox
- Quality of Life feature: Duplicate Tabs! Right Click and Select Duplicate Tab to access this feature
- Switched to O3 flag when compiling on macOS
- Disabled offline archiving of telemetry data
What features does Waterfox currently have?
- Compiled with Clang-cl on Windows
- Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)
- Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
- Removed Pocket completely
- Removed all telemetry/data collection being sent back to Mozilla
- Disabled the 64-Bit NPAPI white-list so that the user can decide what plugins they can run (doesn’t make sense for Mozilla to do this as most of their user base probably aren’t technically proficient), but it’s something Waterfox users are capable of handling.
- I’ve also allowed unsigned extensions to run as well as there are still some old extensions people like to use (it’s disabled by Mozilla for the same reason as above)
- Windows XP 64-Bit support (issues since v46)
- Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
- Removal of Snippets from Home Page
- When using a profile shared by Firefox, sponsored tile and snippet URLs may overwrite default Waterfox settings, enabling them again
- Automatic updates will be delayed by 24 hours to make sure there aren’t any pressing issues before seeding to everyone.
Partnership with Ecosia
Waterfox has now partnered with Ecosia as a way to raise funds. When using Ecosia, revenue generated from ads helps plant trees and contributes to Waterfox upkeep costs! If you’d like to help support Waterfox while also doing some good in the world, please help us out by using it!
As always, head to the Downloads page for the latest versions!