Waterfox 50.1.0 is now available - critical security updates!
What’s new in Waterfox 50.1.?
- Security updates
- Utilised Windows 10 SDK when building instead of 8.1 SDK for Windows builds
- Issues with Windows NT 5.2 (XP era) systems are being looked into
What’s new in Waterfox 50.0.2?
- Critical security updates, immediate update recommended
What’s new in Waterfox 126.96.36.199?
- Fixes crashing on pre macOS systems
What’s new in Waterfox 50.0?
- Waterfox is now built with Clang-cl thanks to the great progress made in the winclang bug
- Mac builds are now support to set OS X 10.4 as minimum supported version, but with no guarantee of running without issues
- Linux builds are now available to download and are built with Clang!
What features does Waterfox currently have?
- Compiled with Clang-cl on Windows
- Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)
- Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
- Removed Pocket completely
- Removed all telemetry/data collection being sent back to Mozilla
- Disabled the 64-Bit NPAPI white-list so that the user can decide what plugins they can run (doesn’t make sense for Mozilla to do this as most of their user base probably aren’t technically proficient), but it’s something Waterfox users are capable of handling.
- I’ve also allowed unsigned extensions to run as well as there are still some old extensions people like to use (it’s disabled by Mozilla for the same reason as above)
- Windows XP 64-Bit support
- Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
- When using a profile shared by Firefox, sponsored tile and snippet URLs may overwrite default Waterfox settings, enabling them again
- Automatic updates will be delayed by 24 hours to make sure there aren’t any pressing issues before seeding to everyone.
Partnership with Ecosia
Waterfox has now partnered with Ecosia as a way to raise funds. When using Ecosia, revenue generated from ads helps plant trees and contributes to Waterfox upkeep costs! If you’d like to help support Waterfox while also doing some good in the world, please help us out by using it!
As always, head to the Downloads page for the latest versions!