Waterfox 47.0 is now available to download.
What’s new in Waterfox 47.0.1?
- Updated codebase to 47.0.1
What’s new in Waterfox 47.0?
- Fixed Netflix playing issues once more. It appears that Netflix compares user agent strings against the ability of that browser version to play EME. I’ve now set the user agent to pretend that Waterfox is Firefox 38, which seems to have fixed the issue once more.
What features does Waterfox currently have?
- Disabled EME (doesn’t work on 3rd party builds anyway)
- Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
- Removed Pocket completely
- Removed all telemetry/data collection being sent back to Mozilla
- Disabled the 64-Bit NPAPI white-list so that the user can decide what plugins they can run (doesn’t make sense for Mozilla to do this as most of their user base probably aren’t technically proficient), but it’s something Waterfox users are capable of handling.
- I’ve also allowed unsigned extensions to run as well as there are still some old extensions people like to use (it’s disabled by Mozilla for the same reason as above)
- Windows XP 64-Bit support
- Updated ICU to 57.1 (current Mozilla base is on 56.1)
- Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
- When using a profile shared by Firefox, sponsored tile and snippet URLs may overwrite default Waterfox settings, enabling them again
- There was very bad weather in London last week and my flat got damaged in the process. Unfortunately a lot of my computer equipment got Water damage, which has delayed the release until now. My Mac is being repaired by Apple (once more), so expect Mac builds to be delayed once again.
- Cross-compiling Waterfox on Linux using Clang has shown some promising results.
- Automatic updates will be delayed by 24 hours to make sure there aren’t any pressing issues before seeding to everyone.
Partnership with Ecosia
Waterfox has now partnered with Ecosia as a way to raise funds. When using Ecosia, revenue generated from ads helps plant trees and contributes to Waterfox upkeep costs! If you’d like to help support Waterfox while also doing some good in the world, please help us out by using it!
As always, head to the Downloads page for the latest versions!